Derby car design
In this course kids get to design a derby car with good functionality in terms of aerodynamics, choice of body parts, enhancing performance and more. They finally get to race their car and see them in action. This course lets a kid explore some of the most fundamental science concepts, and also learn how to apply them in making a car that is much effective.
Why learn this course?
Cars fascinate people. They always have! They break the barrier of age. Not just because they help us move to and from different places, but of the fact they are a technological marvel. We have been on the move upon the wheels since the invention of the steam engine. It wasn't just the cars that moved, the entire human race moved forward!
From steam engines to electric engines we have come a long way. Ever since the first car, they evolved in multiple dimensions like design, efficiency, looks, needs, fuels, comfort and more. It is essential to understand the evolution of cars, and what necessitated the improvisations, and how can a basic understanding of science can help in designing a car. This camp is all about exploring all these multi-dimensions in designing a car
Glimpe of the previous camp
Why should you choose this camp? How do we drive the curriculum? What would your kid learn from this camp?
Is car all about engine?
- Energy can never be created or destroyed? but why? Kids understand the concepts of Motion, Energy with activities and experiments
Build, race, and experiment
- Time for kids to get their Engineer mind in use. Will wood working, measuring, analyzing and optimizing. Kids start assembling their own car
Curriculum and learning process
- Centre of mass
- Energy, conservation of energy
- Speed, velocity, acceleration, momentum
- Lift, weight, thrust, drag
- Newton's laws of motion
Me and my son Jisnu attended Vivek Devaraj's program. really its very good exposure for my kid. my special thanks to them who took excellent effort in making the program in right way
Jishnu's mother, Erode
Why do we have wheels?
- The story of wheels. Learning concepts of physics like friction, energy loss with experiments to understand different type of wheels
- Understanding part of cars
- Basics of designing a car
- Design a derby pinewood car
Can design improve speed of the car?
- Aerodynamics plays a critical role in all moving objects. Kids play with different models the importance of the shape of the car and the designs
Scrutiny and race!
- Well Engineering is trial and error. There is always scope for improvement. Kids learn from their previous mistakes and race again!
Foundation is very important for kids to build up their knowledge. Without that your kid will have struggle throughout school years and there after. I feel all kids around the world should get opportunities to learn from Mango education.
Camp particulars, and other details
Design is not just what it looks like & feels like. Design is how it works
- Steve jobs