Why learn this course?
When Galileo observed Jupiter and its moons, or the phases of Venus, or the moon through a telescope, it should have been a spectacular sight to remember for a lifetime. He was able to record his observations only through drawing, as extensive technology like photography didn't exist. The advancements in photography have unleashed wide opportunities to freeze spectacular sights in time with the help of pictures. Recording what is in the night sky is both wonderful and scientifically important. This workshop focuses on understanding the techniques involved in taking pictures of the night sky and the importance of the same.
NOTE: Kids have to bring their own camera. Camera with ASM mode.
Why should you choose this camp? How do we drive the curriculum? What would your kid learn from this camp?
- Documenting Astronomy.
- Effectively documenting the night sky using photography.
- Understanding the motion of the objects in the night sky.
- How evolution of the celestial objects have been observed by documenting them. E.g. The shrinking red spot of Jupiter, supernova, the tilt of the Saturn's rings from our perspective, etc.
- The night sky is a continuously moving frame and how to account for it and take pictures.
We are so thankful to Mango education and team. Our son learned a lot about astronomy. Obuli Chandran's teaching methods have ignited a spark towards astronomy among the children. They are surely going to glow like stars in the future. Thanks again!
- Morning - Start from Coimbatore
- Afternoon - Have lunch at Coonoor and take rest for the evening session
- Evening - Understanding different camera modes, exposure triangle
- Dusk - Photo walk during the golden hour
- Night - Set up the camera, understanding the night sky, and taking pictures
- Morning - Post processing and interaction with experts
- Structuring the research document
- Afternoon lunch and rest
- Understanding low-light photography
- Understanding Milky Way
- Milky Way photography
- Breakfast discussions
- Post-processing session 2
- Completing the research documentation
- Start from Coonoor
- Build interest in astronomy and documenting the night sky.
- Learn basics of physics.
- Understand the difficulty in astrophotography, and what types of tools or telescopes would work for astrophotography.
- Observe how a picture is taken of the moon through a telescope and also without it.
- How telescopes can help taking better picture under low light conditions.
- A compiled document of the observed night sky
- Tips and tricks to take pictures of the Milky Way
Obuli Chandran, your bunch of Young Astronomers batch is proving to be awesome. They're all superb. Hats off to you for giving them so much knowledge over a span of 6 months. Thank you again, Obuli Chandran and Mango Education for this wonderful opportunity with Mithun Meenakshi Mohan
Camp particulars, and other details
Do not look at stars as bright spots only. Try to take in the vastness of the universe.
- Maria Mitchell